Hamilton, Bermuda (July 27, 2023) – The Argus Group is delighted to announce the successful completion of its 2023 Summer Internship Programme. Over the course of 12 weeks, 14 students were given the opportunity to gain real-world experience in various departments across the organisation. The programme, which aims to nurture and empower the next generation of professionals, has offered internship opportunities to a total of 36 high-school and university students, and recent graduates, over the past three years.
While high schoolers seized the opportunity to learn employability skills, and explore potential career pathways, university students were actively engaged in projects that aligned with their area of study, allowing them to connect real work experience to their theoretical learning.
"For many students, this internship serves as a steppingstone into the workforce, introducing them to real-world dynamics and developing essential job-readiness skills," said Kellianne Smith, Senior Vice President, People at The Argus Group. "We knew that by offering a supportive and educational experience we can engage our next generation of talent. We were very impressed by their commitment as they exceeded our expectations, supporting several critical projects, while adding immense value. They have done so well that we’ve extended the programme to keep some of them on longer.”
The 14 students selected include:
- Vincent Darrell, Solent University, BSc (Hons) Business Management and Marketing
- Kaleo Place, Queen’s University, BSc (Hons), Economics
- Chontelle Williams, Oakwood University, BA History, Minor in Political Science
- Domonique Douglas, La Sierra University, BS Healthcare Management
- Noah Fubler, Bermuda College, Associate of Arts, Business Administration
- Jadyn Teart, Oakwood University, BS Biology, Pre-Medicine Concentration
- Aaron Upadhyay, McMaster University, BTech, Automation
- Yahzahra Gilbert, Berkeley Institute
- Zha-Lei Looby, Berkeley Institute, Bermuda College Dual Enrollment Programme
- Jabri Hayward, CedarBridge Academy, Bermuda College Dual Enrollment Programme
- Amir Ford, Bermuda Institute
- Xienne Burch, Andrews University, BBA Accounting and Finance
- Keiran Smith, Mount Saint Agnes Academy
- Chiaje Rudo, Berkeley Institute, Bermuda College Dual Enrollment Programme
The students benefited from career-focused discussions such as developing resumes, cultivating their personal brand, utilising LinkedIn effectively, and refining their soft skills. Each intern was intentionally connected with an experienced mentor to match their career interests and give them personal guidance.
Sheila Nicoll Argus Award Scholar, Vincent Darrell said: "My time with Argus this summer has been nothing short of transformative. Working with the Center of Excellence team has allowed me to delve into the world of innovation and truly understand the customer journey. This experience has been monumental to my professional growth, shaping my ability to identify and tackle challenges with creativity and efficiency. This journey with Argus has been a defining moment in my career and I am immensely grateful for the opportunity.”
Chiaje Rudo, who interned with the Pensions team, said: “I have enjoyed being immersed in a professional and welcoming business environment. The insurance world is very new to me, and I am grateful to be able to have this level of experience at such a young age. I have learnt the importance of time management and collaboration – transferrable skills that I will carry with me throughout my professional journey.”
"We are committed to cultivating an environment that promotes personal growth and professional development, while equipping students with the essential skills to thrive in their future pursuits," added Alison Hill, CEO of The Argus Group. “We believe that empowering these young minds is a critical step in realising our vision to become a powerful force for sustainable wellbeing.”