How do I file a claim for a house, car, bike or boat?

According to the Bermuda Police Service 2016 Crime Statistics Report there were 551 residential burglaries and 770 motor vehicle thefts in 2016.  With an annual hurricane season which lasts for six months of each year, we all run the risk of having to deal with hurricane damage to our homes and vehicles.


No one wants a loss to happen to them, but statistics show that it could. When you have the misfortune of any of these happening to you, you may need to make a claim on your insurance policy. Fortunately, whether it is home, car, bike, boat or commercial insurance, it is a relatively straight-forward process and Argus is here to help.

Just as Argus offers a range of coverage to help protect you and your family’s most valuable assets, our claims service is personalized to make sure you are properly compensated for your loss. After all, no two claims are the same; they vary greatly in cost and circumstances.

What does my policy include?
To read up on all our property and casualty policy options, click here or call our customer service line at 298-0888 to have an Argus representative assist with the specifics of your policy and what is covered.

You will usually have to contribute a small part of the cost of your claim, known as an “Excess” or “Deductible”.  The amount will vary depending on your policy and Argus will inform you of this amount when you register your claim.

How do I make a small claim?
When a small loss occurs, such as a loss pertaining to motor cycle theft, motor vehicle accidents, marine, home, buildings and contents, travel and personal accident, you can download an insurance claim form online by clicking here.

Select the claims form you need for your Property & Casualty (P&C) insurance needs.  There are separate forms for each type of claim. You will see ‘File a Claim’ forms at the bottom of the page for each category of claim...

Complete the form as fully and accurately as possible and return it to us immediately. Please include your policy number and describe the date, time and place of loss or damage, as well as a brief description of the circumstances.

To process your claim, Argus will require the particulars of the claim, which include a description of any articles lost, stolen or damaged.

It is crucial that you sign and date the form to confirm that, to the best of your knowledge, all information provided is correct. 

All claims forms can then be emailed to

Call Argus at 298-0888 or send a message through the website if you have any questions or need further guidance.


What if the damage is extensive?

When a larger loss occurs, such as hurricane damage to your property, you should call Argus at 298-0888 as soon as it is practical to do so.

Your immediate concerns will, of course, be your family’s safety and any necessary steps that need to be made to prevent further damage. However, it is important that you do not repair anything or dispose of damaged property or accept liability before an adjuster has examined everything - this could hinder rather than help your claim.

You will most likely be asked what happened, when it happened and what, if any, actions you have taken to fix the problem.  Please note the above caution regarding attempted repairs.

To help Argus help you, include the following with your claim:

  • an inventory of anything damaged or missing, including property and possessions;
  • pictures taken of any damage and to the surrounding scene;
  • receipts or warranties for any possessions or further losses caused;
  • A police report;
  • any other relevant evidence documenting the loss; and
  • any witness information.

Please note that if you are renting your home, or live in a condominium, insurance held by landlords and/or Condominium Associations will only cover the building structure and not your personal effects.  To ensure that your personal belongings are covered by insurance, , you must have your own contents insurance policy.

Contents insurance also covers damage to furniture and appliances – even food spoiled in the fridge should the unit breakdown or a fuse blow.  Should you also have “Leasehold Improvements” endorsed on your policy, e.g. wooden floors, upgraded kitchen cabinetry, they will also be covered under your contents policy

Your car will not be covered for hurricane damage if you have third party coverage. To protect your vehicle, get Comprehensive Coverage on your car before hurricane season to ensure that any possible damage is covered.

The Argus team is on hand to advise you and give you the facts before you submit your claim.   Feel free to call us at any time during business hours should you need assistance.


How do I prepare for an insurance adjuster?
Once you have filed a property claim following a catastrophe such as a fire or hurricane, Argus may send an adjuster to survey the damage. You will need to provide the adjuster with all the information related to the claim.

They will handle your claim in a fair and reasonable manner, but feel free to ask questions and to see their claims file, which details all the information about your loss and how it relates to your policy.

Be sure to get a claim number and the name and phone number of the adjuster for future reference. Find out when you can expect him or her to contact you.

How long will my claim take?
Argus has the experience to help maintain your way of life, give you peace of mind and keep your day-to-day routine running with minimal disruption. Argus will endeavour to pay your claim as quickly as possible. You can assist with the timely resolution of your claim by ensuring that your documentation is complete and that your forms have been fully and accurately completed.

Argus will need enough time to fully investigate your claim. The time required will be determined by the severity and complexity of the claim. and subsequent repairs needed.

If you need to file any kind of P&C insurance claim with Argus, you now know exactly what you need to do! Be prepared and keep the Argus customer service number, 298-0888, handy should you need assistance, have questions or any concerns.

DISCLAIMER: The content in this article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.